$4.99 or $9.99 Flat Rate Shipping! Restrictions Apply - Click for Details.

Singing the Praises of ‘Music’ Garlic

By on November 05, 2011

'Music' garlic is a gift to cooks -- big cloves wrapped up in easy-to-peel, pink skin.

What is it about ‘Music’ garlic that makes it the most popular seed garlic with our customers?

Hardneck

First of all, it’s a hardneck garlic and all the hardnecks have more complex flavors than the softneck garlic found in grocery stores.

‘Music’ is one of the hardnecks known as a porcelain garlic, and it is beautiful.

New to garlic? Our blog has a quick intro to the kinds of garlic.

Easy to grow

‘Music’ is a hardy garlic that likes cold weather. It can grow up to 3’-4’ tall. Its dark green leaves are stabilized by long roots.

Stores well

After harvest, the cloves store 3-6 months in good conditions (meaning dry, cool, and well-ventilated).

Large cloves

The ‘Music’ cloves are large and easy to peel.

Excellent flavor

The flavors of ‘Music’ are described as mildly to medium hot, with musky, rich taste.

High allicin levels

‘Music’ has a high content of allicin, which researchers say is a powerful antioxidant.

If this has piqued your interest in garlic you can also try our Garlic Combo sampler..

V

I’m new to this.  Is seed garlic actually a seed?

Posted by Valerie on Nov. 06, 2011 at 3:34:31 PM

Seed garlic are actually heads of garlic that you break apart and plant each clove. Garlic doesn’t make “seeds” per se, it does make bubils but it takes two years to grow from bubils and one to grow from cloves.

I planted Music and I just love it’s performance and taste. Even though some of my garlic heads were small this year I still got huge cloves. The cloves just barely fit in my garlic press. I say that’s a good problem to have.

Posted by GrowOrganic.com on Nov. 07, 2011 at 9:29:19 AM

D

How will this variety do in Southern California, (inland specifically in sunset zone 18). I know sometimes hardnecks may not do so well in this climate, I’ve planted some regular california early from the farmers market that was grown in this area but would prefer a few different varieties to test out. Thanks

Posted by David on Nov. 08, 2011 at 8:07:27 AM

David, Softneck garlics, such as the California Early you have grown, have a greater tolerance for warm springs and summers. You do have cold winters in Sunset zone 18 and if you have a cool spring in 2012 a porcelain hardneck like ‘Music’ should do well. It will depend on the year and on the microclimate on your property. I also suggest you check with your Master Gardeners to see if they have comments on the varieties that do best.

Posted by GrowOrganic.com on Nov. 08, 2011 at 11:09:10 AM

H

I am a novice gardener. I bought Music garlic and planted the whole heads…Stop laughing already…How do I separate them after having planted them a few months ago?

Posted by Helen on Jan. 29, 2012 at 11:34:58 AM

Helen, This is going to make a good story for you! Just dig them up and separate them (gently) and replant. Watch our video http://groworganic.com/organic-gardening/videos/how-to-grow-garlic and read our Growing Guide http://groworganic.com/media/pdfs/garlic-l.pdf for planting tips.

Posted by GrowOrganic.com on Feb. 06, 2012 at 4:31:58 PM

I’m very new in the world of gardening.
I have a question in my mind I seem not able to answer.
Maybe a real gardener can help me.
How much sun do I need to have vegetables pots on
my deck?

Posted by christine on Feb. 15, 2012 at 4:45:57 PM

Christine, Most vegetables need full sun (6 or more hours a day). Here’s an article from Colorado State about growing vegetables in containers in their dry climate. http://cmg.colostate.edu/gardennotes/724.pdf

For easy containers, check out Smart Pots (we planted blueberries in them in this video http://groworganic.com/organic-gardening/videos/planting-blueberries-growing-blueberries). For smaller containers of herbs, here’s a video on that http://groworganic.com/organic-gardening/videos/container-gardens-herbs

If you are brand new to vegetable gardening there are two good books (among many) to help you start. If you are only growing in containers, The Bountiful Container is your best bet http://www.groworganic.com/the-bountiful-container.html. For a vegetable garden in raised beds or the ground, you can rely on The Vegetable Gardener’s Bible http://www.groworganic.com/vegetable-grower-s-bible.html

Posted by GrowOrganic.com on Feb. 16, 2012 at 11:46:48 AM

B

We live in southern Indiana.  We have moderate winters most of the time, but they can range from mild to very cold.  Summers are hot.  A normal summer is humid and in the 90’s, but this summer we had many days that were 100 degrees or higher.  I want a garlic that has lots of flavor but is not overly hot.  I think Music would be a good choice.  My question is would Music do well in our area?  If not, what would you suggest?

Posted by Bec on Sep. 12, 2012 at 5:25:45 PM

D

Just to follow up from my question from Nov last year, I thought you might like to know that Music did great in my southern california climate (sunset 18). Really vigorous plants with very large bulbs. Am preparing to plant again from the stock i saved. They did better than the california early, also loved the scapes. Thanks very much for your advice.

Posted by David on Oct. 03, 2012 at 2:33:29 PM

David, Thanks so much for your update! That’s exciting news! Hope you’ll try another hardneck variety this year, in addition to Music, and let us know your results.

Posted by GrowOrganic.com on Oct. 06, 2012 at 10:04:42 AM

Bec, We are out of Music this season, but any of the hardnecks would grow well in your climate. Purple Italian is a good flavor trade for Music—it has rich sweetness without being too hot. If you have soggy soil in your garden try Russian Red, which is the most tolerant of wet soil. Be sure to watch our Garlic Growing video for special tips on prepping the cloves before you plant http://groworganic.com/organic-gardening/videos/how-to-grow-garlic

Let us know how your garlic harvest goes! Most garlic growers try new varieties every year, along with planting cloves from their own harvest.

Posted by GrowOrganic.com on Oct. 17, 2012 at 6:07:25 PM

D

Can I buy garlic now and save to plant the follwing year?

Posted by Debbie on Oct. 28, 2012 at 7:59:28 AM

E

I will have to try this one next year!  I have done well with the Italian Easy Peel and some others like Georgia Fire.
Garlic is so easy to grow!

Posted by Erik in KC on Nov. 13, 2012 at 7:57:35 PM

Debbie, It’s hard to store garlic that long. Best to plant and harvest your own, then replant some cloves from your harvest as seed garlic, and also try new varieties each year.

Posted by GrowOrganic.com on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:28:47 PM

Erik in KC, Yes, you’ll probably become a Music fan!

Posted by GrowOrganic.com on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:29:20 PM

S

Hello.
I planted Music last fall and now my plants are up and pretty nice considering the spring we’ve had. The plants produced spicky things that curl around. A video said to clip them off and you can eat them (not the “flower”).
Well, now I have a lot of those spicky things.  Can I store them somehow? They are sort of crunchy. Are they too mature?
Thanks.

Posted by stephanie on Jul. 13, 2013 at 1:21:43 PM

D

I recently read somewhere (on the internet) that garlic should not be planted in the same spot year to year.  Is this something you can address?

Posted by Dubbie on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:15:55 PM

Dubbie, The rule of thumb is to move annual vegetable crops each year. This is to prevent soil borne diseases from taking hold. We explain crop rotation in this article and the linked video http://groworganic.com/organic-gardening/articles/quick-guide-to-vegetable-families-for-crop-rotation You can replant the same family in the same place every 3 or 4 years.

Posted by GrowOrganic.com on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:17:24 PM

Stephanie, The spikey things are a delicacy called “scapes”. Most people harvest them just when they have completed their first circle, and then cut them up in stir fries or omelets. If you leave them on the garlic plant the scapes will continue to curl—and THEN they will straighten up. When they are straight they are too tough to eat, and it’s also likely to be the time to harvest your garlic. Take a scape and cook it up to see if it is already tough. If they are tender enough to eat, cut the rest of the scapes. They should be cooked immediately or stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days.

Posted by GrowOrganic.com on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:55:38 PM