Free Seed Packs on Orders Over $50, See promotion page for details

Singing the praises of ‘Music’ garlic

Nov 05, 2011 -

Singing the praises of ‘Music’ garlic
'Music' garlic is a gift to cooks -- big cloves wrapped up in easy-to-peel, pink skin.

Get in on the sale prices for our smaller heads of ‘Music’ organic, hardneck garlic!

Same wonderful flavor, and a lower price per pound! You get even more plantable cloves per pound with the smaller size head.

A cost effective way to get LOTS of plantable cloves. Each pound has approximately 12 heads and each head has 6-8 cloves, giving you approximately 72 plantable cloves per pound—for just $9.99.

What is it about ‘Music’ garlic that makes it the most popular seed garlic with our customers?

Hardneck

First of all, it’s a hardneck garlic and all the hardnecks have more subtle flavors than the softneck garlic found in grocery stores.

‘Music’ is one of the hardnecks known as a porcelain garlic, and it is beautiful.

New to garlic? Our blog has a quick intro to the kinds of garlic.

Easy to grow

‘Music’ is a hardy garlic that likes cold weather. It can grow up to 3’-4’ tall. Its dark green leaves are stabilized by long roots.

Stores well

After harvest, the cloves store 3-6 months in good conditions (meaning dry, cool, and well-ventilated).

Large cloves

The ‘Music’ cloves are large and easy to peel.

Excellent flavor

The flavors of ‘Music’ are described as mildly to medium hot, with musky, rich taste.

High allicin levels

‘Music’ has a high content of allicin, which researchers say is a powerful antioxidant.

If this has piqued your interest in garlic you can also try our Garlic Combo sampler..

Categories: Seed Garlic, Hardneck Seed Garlic, Organic Seed Garlic, Seed Garlic, Hardneck Seed Garlic, Organic Seed Garlic, Organic Gardening 101

Valerie Says:
Nov 6th, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I’m new to this.  Is seed garlic actually a seed?

Stephanie Brown Says:
Nov 7th, 2011 at 10:29 am

Seed garlic are actually heads of garlic that you break apart and plant each clove. Garlic doesn’t make “seeds” per se, it does make bubils but it takes two years to grow from bubils and one to grow from cloves.

I planted Music and I just love it’s performance and taste. Even though some of my garlic heads were small this year I still got huge cloves. The cloves just barely fit in my garlic press. I say that’s a good problem to have.

David Says:
Nov 8th, 2011 at 9:07 am

How will this variety do in Southern California, (inland specifically in sunset zone 18). I know sometimes hardnecks may not do so well in this climate, I’ve planted some regular california early from the farmers market that was grown in this area but would prefer a few different varieties to test out. Thanks

Nov 8th, 2011 at 12:09 pm

David, Softneck garlics, such as the California Early you have grown, have a greater tolerance for warm springs and summers. You do have cold winters in Sunset zone 18 and if you have a cool spring in 2012 a porcelain hardneck like ‘Music’ should do well. It will depend on the year and on the microclimate on your property. I also suggest you check with your Master Gardeners to see if they have comments on the varieties that do best.

Helen Says:
Jan 29th, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I am a novice gardener. I bought Music garlic and planted the whole heads…Stop laughing already…How do I separate them after having planted them a few months ago?

Feb 6th, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Helen, This is going to make a good story for you! Just dig them up and separate them (gently) and replant. Watch our video http://groworganic.com/organic-gardening/videos/how-to-grow-garlic and read our Growing Guide http://groworganic.com/media/pdfs/garlic-l.pdf for planting tips.

christine Says:
Feb 15th, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I’m very new in the world of gardening.
I have a question in my mind I seem not able to answer.
Maybe a real gardener can help me.
How much sun do I need to have vegetables pots on
my deck?

Feb 16th, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Christine, Most vegetables need full sun (6 or more hours a day). Here’s an article from Colorado State about growing vegetables in containers in their dry climate. http://cmg.colostate.edu/gardennotes/724.pdf

For easy containers, check out Smart Pots (we planted blueberries in them in this video http://groworganic.com/organic-gardening/videos/planting-blueberries-growing-blueberries). For smaller containers of herbs, here’s a video on that http://groworganic.com/organic-gardening/videos/container-gardens-herbs

If you are brand new to vegetable gardening there are two good books (among many) to help you start. If you are only growing in containers, The Bountiful Container is your best bet http://www.groworganic.com/the-bountiful-container.html For a. vegetable garden in raised beds or the ground, you can rely on The Vegetable Gardener’s Bible http://www.groworganic.com/vegetable-grower-s-bible.html

Bec Says:
Sep 12th, 2012 at 5:25 pm

We live in southern Indiana.  We have moderate winters most of the time, but they can range from mild to very cold.  Summers are hot.  A normal summer is humid and in the 90’s, but this summer we had many days that were 100 degrees or higher.  I want a garlic that has lots of flavor but is not overly hot.  I think Music would be a good choice.  My question is would Music do well in our area?  If not, what would you suggest?

David Says:
Oct 3rd, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Just to follow up from my question from Nov last year, I thought you might like to know that Music did great in my southern california climate (sunset 18). Really vigorous plants with very large bulbs. Am preparing to plant again from the stock i saved. They did better than the california early, also loved the scapes. Thanks very much for your advice.

Oct 6th, 2012 at 10:04 am

David, Thanks so much for your update! That’s exciting news! Hope you’ll try another hardneck variety this year, in addition to Music, and let us know your results.

Oct 17th, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Bec, We are out of Music this season, but any of the hardnecks would grow well in your climate. Purple Italian is a good flavor trade for Music—it has rich sweetness without being too hot. If you have soggy soil in your garden try Russian Red, which is the most tolerant of wet soil. Be sure to watch our Garlic Growing video for special tips on prepping the cloves before you plant http://groworganic.com/organic-gardening/videos/how-to-grow-garlic

Let us know how your garlic harvest goes! Most garlic growers try new varieties every year, along with planting cloves from their own harvest.

Debbie Says:
Oct 28th, 2012 at 7:59 am

Can I buy garlic now and save to plant the follwing year?

Erik in KC Says:
Nov 13th, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I will have to try this one next year!  I have done well with the Italian Easy Peel and some others like Georgia Fire.
Garlic is so easy to grow!

Jan 28th, 2013 at 12:28 am

Debbie, It’s hard to store garlic that long. Best to plant and harvest your own, then replant some cloves from your harvest as seed garlic, and also try new varieties each year.

Jan 28th, 2013 at 12:29 am

Erik in KC, Yes, you’ll probably become a Music fan!

stephanie Says:
Jul 13th, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Hello.
I planted Music last fall and now my plants are up and pretty nice considering the spring we’ve had. The plants produced spicky things that curl around. A video said to clip them off and you can eat them (not the “flower”).
Well, now I have a lot of those spicky things.  Can I store them somehow? They are sort of crunchy. Are they too mature?
Thanks.

Dubbie Says:
Jul 14th, 2013 at 1:15 pm

I recently read somewhere (on the internet) that garlic should not be planted in the same spot year to year.  Is this something you can address?

Jul 15th, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Dubbie, The rule of thumb is to move annual vegetable crops each year. This is to prevent soil borne diseases from taking hold. We explain crop rotation in this article and the linked video http://groworganic.com/organic-gardening/articles/quick-guide-to-vegetable-families-for-crop-rotation You can replant the same family in the same place every 3 or 4 years.

Jul 15th, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Stephanie, The spikey things are a delicacy called “scapes”. Most people harvest them just when they have completed their first circle, and then cut them up in stir fries or omelets. If you leave them on the garlic plant the scapes will continue to curl—and THEN they will straighten up. When they are straight they are too tough to eat, and it’s also likely to be the time to harvest your garlic. Take a scape and cook it up to see if it is already tough. If they are tender enough to eat, cut the rest of the scapes. They should be cooked immediately or stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days.

Free Seed Packs

With Online Orders

• 2 free seed packs on orders of $50
  • 5 free seed packs on orders of $100

Browse Peaceful Valley Organic Vegetable Seed Packs

Grow Organic

• For a healthy and safe food supply
  • For a clean and sustainable environment
  • For an enjoyable and rewarding experience

For Life!