Questions? Call us at (888) 784-1722
Call Center Hours: Monday - Saturday, 8:30-5:00 PST.
Questions? Call us!
Thanks for Subscribing!
Use Code: at Checkout!
Hurry! Expires !
Tricia shows you how to make high quality compost like this, with the fast and hot method.
Cook up your own FAST, high-quality compost and either use it immediately in your garden, or brew it for a great compost tea.
Compost is one of the cornerstones of organic gardening and we have loads of information for you about compost and compost tea.
* Want to make fast compost to enrich the soil in your garden? Our latest video shows you how to do that in easy steps.
* Do you want to brew large amounts of aerated compost tea? Watch our video about making aerated compost tea in commercial size quantities, with our Growing Solutions Compost Tea Brewer System.
* If you’re a home gardener, check out our video about brewing 5 gallons of aerated compost tea in our own PVFS Compost Tea Brewer. An article explaining aerated compost tea is linked to the video.
As in any recipe, the finished product is only as good as the ingredients. The better your compost, the better your compost tea. By “better” we mean there are more microorganisms in the tea, bringing more life to your soil.
WHAT IS HIGH QUALITY COMPOST?
High quality compost comes from a carefully tended compost pile with the right mixture of brown and green matter, water, and oxygen. When all is working optimally in a pile it will reach high temperatures of 120-150F. The high heat will kill most pathogens and weed seeds, but the beneficial mycorrizhae will survive. There is a natural “cooling off” period and then the compost is “finished compost” or “humus” and can be put to use.
HOW TO MAKE HIGH QUALITY COMPOST
To make the best compost you should create a fast, hot compost pile (in a bin or on the ground) and add all the composting ingredients at once. If you manage your compost pile well, you can have finished compost in 2-8 weeks.
* Fill your compost bin, or build the pile by layering equal amounts of brown and green ingredients. The pile should not be bigger than a 3-foot cube, since you will need to be able to turn it often. If you are composting outside a bin, in a windy area, you should go up to a 4-foot cube size, to retain the heat better. With this fast process you will need to watch the balance of brown and green ingredients as the composting goes along, and be prepared to supplement with more brown or green if the pile develops problems.
* Speed up decomposition by using small pieces of ingredients (shredded leaves, not whole leaves, for instance). Don’t use branches in a fast compost pile, because they take longer to break down.
* Spray water on each layer. Kick up the speed in the pile by adding compost inoculants to the water you spray on the pile. Keep the pile as moist as a wrung-out sponge at all times. Be careful when you touch the pile because it will be HOT using this composting technique.
* Monitor the temperature of a fast compost pile. Your friends who are new to gardening will squawk when they hear you own a compost thermometer, but you’ll have the last laugh when you produce superb compost in a few weeks. A speedy pile may go up to 120F in the first 2 days, and up to 130F in 3 to 4 days. When the temperature drops to 110F the compost may be close to finished, if your pile has been performing at the fastest rate—or it may need a boost of additional turning and water to heat up again.
Compost is “finished” when it is dark, crumbly, and sweet-smelling. You should not be able to identify the original pieces of the ingredients. Let it sit for a few days, then spread it an inch thick in your garden, or use it to make your compost tea!
PRODUCTS TO HELP YOU COMPOST
Kitchen Compost Carrier to fill up with vegetable cuttings for “green” in your compost heap.
Soilsaver Composter is a covered composting bin (cover keeps out most rodents).
Corona Machete to chop your materials into smaller pieces that will compost more quickly.
E.B. Stone Compost Maker is a high nitrogen mix that kickstarts and enriches compost.
Biodynamic Compost Inoculant brings new microbes to the party, to colonize the compost pile.
Compost Aerator is a more streamlined tool to turn your compost.
Compost Thermometer is vital when you are making fast compost. Monitoring the temperatures is a crucial part of keeping the fast process going.
Texel Compostex is a completely breathable, non-woven fabric made of 100% UV-resistant, black polypropylene that completely sheds rainfall from covered piles. A staff favorite here!
Soil Sifter 2-in-1 Sieve has two sizes of screens so you can easily remove big chunks from your compost pile, leaving fine grade compost to brew as aerated tea, or spread in your garden beds.
PVFS Compost Tea Brewer is the home garden size, to make 5 gallons of aerated compost tea.
Growing Solutions Compost Tea Brewer Systems come in 10-gallon, 25-gallon, 100-gallon, and 500-gallon sizes.
Arctic Humus is ready whenever you want to brew up some aerated compost tea—in case you haven’t cooked up any fast compost lately.
FOR MORE INFORMATION about composting we recommend The Rodale Book of Composting.
Christine E. Mills Says:
Mar 20th, 2014 at 7:22 pm
Every year as my compost just begins jamming away
Oct 18th, 2014 at 8:46 pm
I have a small garden 4’ x 16’
Suzanne at Peaceful Valley Says:
Nov 7th, 2014 at 11:52 am
You can spread out the leaves and grass (without seed in it) over your garden soil. I would just let it sit over the winter to decompose. Before you are ready to plant in the spring or summer, just turn it under. This will greatly help loosen up the heavy clay soil.
As a company, we strive to bring you the best selection of organic and/or natural gardening supplies available. While many of our products are either Certified Organic, or approved for Certified Organic Production, we also offer a variety of products that do not qualify for this classification. But rest assured, everything we offer must live up to our strict, planet-friendly standards. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at (888) 784-1722 and we'd be happy to answer them!
We strive as a company to bring you the best selection of Certified Organic farm & garden products available. While many of our products are either Certified Organic, or approved for organic gardening/production use, we do offer a variety of products that do not qualify for this classification, such as garden tools, apparel, and kitchen accessories. But rest assured, everything we offer must live up to our strict, planet-friendly standards. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at (888) 784-1722 and we'd be happy to answer them!
Entire Contents © 1997-2016
Peaceful Valley Farm Supply, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
P.O. Box 2209, 125 Clydesdale Ct., Grass Valley, California 95945
Entire Contents © 1997-2016 Peaceful Valley Farm Supply, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
P.O. Box 2209, 125 Clydesdale Ct., Grass Valley, California 95945