Q: Peach Tree Care

Jun 01, 2009 -

I have a clear oozing liquid coming from the new peaches? Help!

Categories: Fruit Trees, Pear Trees

Andrew Says:
Jun 4th, 2009 at 1:32 pm

“I have watched your post for about a week now and noticed no one has replied with an answer for you.  I have done some research on your problem but have come to the conclusion that there maybe one of multiple things causing this ““ooze.””  A few things you might consider are Fire blight which is a bacterial disease that usually effects apples and pears (although this is usually found on the bark- I actually don’t think this is it).  It could also be oriental fruit moths.  But I don’t know where you live and if this pest is even in your area.  I have talked to a few people in the nursery here at PVFS but I have gotten mixed answers.  Some say a small amount of sap from Peaches is normal and nothing to worry about others have said it is due to over watering.  I realize this comment is not very useful but I am afraid we are all lacking on enough information to answer your question.  Have you tried your local master gardener?  Take a look at the link here.  These folks are area specific and very helpful.
Sorry I could not be of more assistance.”

adam gaska Says:
Jul 21st, 2009 at 11:38 am

Sounds like it may be bacterial canker.

Check out http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/selectnewpest.peach.html

Hope it helps.

james Says:
Aug 8th, 2009 at 4:45 pm

I am having the same problem and cant figure it out.

Sandra Says:
May 28th, 2010 at 8:29 am

I dont know what that oozing stuff that is coming out of my peaches do you know what it is?

Peaches OK in 2010 ...so far! Says:
Jun 8th, 2010 at 7:47 am

Last year’s tree was a loss with the oozing. So far….LOTS of rain…I live in Southern PA…and the tree is FULL and all look healthy as of this date. Thank you for your help and efforts. (I did nothing at all to the tree as always..no sprays.)

Kalita@Peaceful Valley Says:
Jun 8th, 2010 at 11:59 am

“If your peaches are oozing it is probably Peach Twig Borer.  If your tree is oozing it could be Peach Tree Borer.  To learn the difference check out this site:
PVFS carries controls for both:
Peach Twig Borer: pheromone lure and trap Dipel DF or Safer Caterpillar Spray & Dust.
Peach Tree Borer: Parasitic Nematodes Steinernema carpocapsae and Aza-Direct or Nemix 4.5 with active ingredient Azadirachtin.”

David Says:
Jul 17th, 2010 at 7:24 am

I have the same problem. I have an elberta tree it’s 5 years old. It has great sunlight and I have pruned it to be very open in the top. From a shape perspective it looks like the trees in a farmer’s orchard in the next county.

For the last two years I have had great flowering and budding followed by peaches that get the size of ping pong balls then stop growing. I have noticed both years a very clear ooze coming out of the peaches. As soon as the ooze appears the peaches stop growing. I’ve also notices an amber ooze coming from the trunk but not so much this year.

Any advice?  Does this match the Peach Twig Borer symptoms?

craig Says:
May 15th, 2011 at 8:10 pm

we are having the same issues with our tree can you tell me what worked for you and the peaches from oozing

Penny Says:
May 25th, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I am having the same problem with my peach tree this year 2011 that David above had last year. My peaches get the size of ping pong balls and then they start oozing clear sticky liquid. I would sure like to know what this is and why my peaches don’t mature. What am I doing wrong? The same thing happened to my peach tree last year too. Does anyone have any answers? Help?

Tasha Says:
Jun 9th, 2011 at 5:35 pm

I am having the same problems with my peach trees in Tn. From what I have read it is caused by oriental fruit moths the damage occurs when the fruit is small and there is not much to be done about it right now but should spray early next year to prevent the moths laying their eggs and causing the damage,

Laura Says:
Jul 29th, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I live on long island,NY. This is my first peach tree. I had leaf curl, and it is almost August, my peaches are very green, have black spots near the top of the fruit and there is a jelly oozing from some of the peaches too! Can anyone help?

James Johnson Says: