Free Seed Packs on Orders Over $50, See promotion page for details

What is your USDA plant hardiness zone?

Oct 26, 2011 -

What is your USDA plant hardiness zone?
Click the link below to "find yourself". Map courtesy of the USDA.

How can I find my USDA plant hardiness zone?

Click on THIS LINK for the new 2012 USDA plant hardiness zone map. You can search it by zip code.

Do you live in an area (like Nevada County) with varied terrain and varied USDA zones within one zipcode? Call your local Master Gardeners for expert guidance in establishing the USDA zone for your property.

Here’s a list of the national Master Gardener programs. For Californians, try this list of Master Gardeners by county.

In our new video Tricia explains that knowing your zone is the first step in choosing the right fruit tree for your land. This is true for most of the plants and trees in your garden.

What are plant hardiness zones?

The U.S. Department of Agriculture sorts the whole country into plant hardiness zones. The national map shows gradations of the average minimum temperatures, based on decades of weather records.

For instance, your winter weather might hover around 36F at night, but if cold snaps drop it to 28F the lowest number is the one the USDA factors in. Worst-case scenarios are what they cover.

Why is the weather for zone 7b in California so different from zone 7b in North Carolina?

The USDA zones are only about low temperatures. Other climate differences between California and North Carolina (such as humidity, rainfall during the summer, and highest temperatures) are not considered.

Categories: Berry Plants, Blackberry Plants, Blueberry Bush, Boysenberry Plants, Raspberry Plants, Strawberry Plants, Vegetable Crowns, Artichoke Crowns, Asparagus Crowns, Horseradish Crowns, Rhubarb Crowns, Jerusalem Artichoke, Seed Potatoes, Organic Potato Seed, Fingerling Potato Seed, Seed Garlic, Hardneck Seed Garlic, Softneck Seed Garlic, Elephant Seed Garlic, Organic Seed Garlic, Organic Seed Shallots, Onions, Live Onion Transplants, Onion Sets, Nut Trees, Kiwi Vine, Grape Vines, Wine Grape Vine, Table Grape Vine, Fruit Trees, Apple Trees, Pomegranate Trees, Pluot Trees, Plum Trees, Persimmon Trees, Pear Trees, Peach Trees, Olive Trees, Nectarine Trees, Multi-Graft Trees, Mulberry Trees, Jujube Trees, Fig Trees, Citrus Trees, Cherry Trees, Apricot Trees, Quince Trees, Flower Bulbs, Spring Bulbs, Fall Bulbs, Organic Seeds, Organic Heirloom Seeds, Organic Vegetable Seeds, Organic Herb Seeds, Organic Bulk Seeds, Organic Hybrid Seeds, Organic Cereal Seed, Vegetable Seeds, Vegetable Seeds Organic, Vegetable Seeds Heirloom, Vegetable Seeds Bulk, Tomato Seeds, Hybrid Vegetable Seeds, Biodynamic Seeds, Bulk Seeds, Bulk Organic Seeds, Bulk Vegetable Seeds, Bulk Wildflower Seeds, Bulk Grass Seed, Bulk Herb Seeds, Wheat Seed, Barley Seed, Oat Seed, Rye Seed, Heirloom Seeds, Heirloom Seeds Organic, Heirloom Tomato Seeds, Heirloom Vegetable Seeds, Heirloom Flower Seeds, Flower Seeds, Annual Flower Seeds, Bulk Wildflower Seeds, Heirloom Flower Seeds, Perennial Flower Seeds, Wildflower Seeds, Herb Seeds, Herb Seeds Organic, Bulk Herb Seeds, Medicinal Herb Seeds, Grass Seed, Lawn Seed, Native Grass Seed, Perennial Grass Seed, Ornamental Grass Seed, Fescue Grass Seed, Cover Crop, Annual Cover Crops, Cereal Seeds, Erosion Control, Green Manure, Perennial Cover Crops, Pasture Seed, Dryland Pasture Mixes, Irrigated Pasture Mixes, Seed Garlic, Hardneck Seed Garlic, Softneck Seed Garlic, Elephant Seed Garlic, Organic Seed Garlic, Organic Seed Shallots, Seed Potatoes, Organic Potato Seed, Fingerling Potato Seed, Bulk Potato Seed, Organic Gardening 101

Betty Yuill Says:
Nov 2nd, 2011 at 6:55 am

The zone map is incorrect for my area. I live in Bloomington,CA and it has me as zone 8b…..our temps are never ever down to 15 degreees. We are more like what is zone 10a where Victorville is. But that is incorrect for them also as they are high desert and get snow whereas we don’t. They are probably more like a 9a or 8b. I suppose it varies area by area depending on microclimates. Our zone is classified with the coastal area which is much cooler than we are here. A few miles can make a difference down here with hills to account for. I work in Riverside and watch my temp gauge on my way to work…not long ago there was a 16 degree difference due to Santa Ana condition and the hills that blocked it.

Nov 2nd, 2011 at 10:39 am

Betty, You are so right on the microclimate issue! You said, “I suppose it varies area by area depending on microclimates. Our zone is classified with the coastal area which is much cooler than we are here. A few miles can make a difference down here with hills to account for” and the coast and the hills lead to lots of variations.

Keeping our own garden temperature records helps a great deal, and local Master Gardener groups often have the low temps mapped by topography if your area is not consistent and easy for the USDA to describe with its map.

Marija Petrauskas Says:
Jan 30th, 2012 at 5:44 pm

zip code is 60613

Sep 9th, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Marija, The USDA map says you are Zone 5B.

Nancy Says:
Sep 23rd, 2012 at 9:32 am

zip code is 95616

Sep 23rd, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Nancy, The USDA map says you are Zone 9B.

Fran Ransley Says:
Oct 7th, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I was blocked from entering my zip code on this map. But anyway, there are so many microclimates in foothill areas that these generalized maps are not worth much. I live down in the bottom of a frost pocket. 1/4 mile away on the hillside, my neighbor can plant way before I can, and grow stuff that would freeze to mush at my place.

Oct 8th, 2012 at 10:53 am

Fran, Sorry you are blocked by the map! It is working fine from my computer. As you say, though, the foothills microclimates are so varied. In Nevada County our Master Gardeners have a detailed map in the Western Nevada County Gardening Guide—but a few years of experience on a piece of land is the best info of all.

Page Gorham Says:
Mar 14th, 2013 at 11:52 am

My zip code is 97701.  I wanted to know if I could grow asparagus here in this zone.

Mar 27th, 2013 at 10:41 am

Page, Looks like you are just east of the Cascade Range, so you should have no problem growing asparagus.  Two items that can be a problem there are soil saturation (be sure soil is loose and light) and gophers.

Pam Says:
Apr 2nd, 2013 at 7:02 am

My zip code is 93544 I am a beginner please help zone then chill factor Thank You

Apr 4th, 2013 at 10:43 am

Pam, Welcome to the gardening world! You are in USDA Zone 9a. Chill hours are something you should ask your local Master Gardeners. I do not know your county so cannot research that for you. Here is an article with links to help you search for your chill hours http://groworganic.com/organic-gardening/articles/chill-hours-what-are-they-how-do-i-count-them-and-why-do-my-fruit-trees-car

Free Seed Packs

With Online Orders

• 2 free seed packs on orders of $50
  • 5 free seed packs on orders of $100

Browse Peaceful Valley Organic Vegetable Seed Packs

Grow Organic

• For a healthy and safe food supply
  • For a clean and sustainable environment
  • For an enjoyable and rewarding experience

For Life!