Free Seeds On Online Orders Over $50

What is your USDA plant hardiness zone?

By on October 26, 2011

Click the link below to find your zone! Map courtesy of the USDA.

How can I find my USDA plant hardiness zone?

Click here to find out your plant hardiness zone by zip code!

Do you live in an area (like Nevada County) with varied terrain and varied USDA zones within one zip code? Call your local Master Gardeners for expert guidance in establishing the USDA zone for your property.

Here’s a list of the national Master Gardener programs. For Californians, try this list of Master Gardeners by county.

In our new video Tricia explains that knowing your zone is the first step in choosing the right fruit tree for your land. This is true for most of the plants and trees in your garden.

What are plant hardiness zones?

The U.S. Department of Agriculture sorts the whole country into plant hardiness zones. The national map shows gradations of the average minimum temperatures, based on decades of weather records.

For instance, your winter weather might hover around 36F at night, but if cold snaps drop it to 28F the lowest number is the one the USDA factors in. Worst-case scenarios are what they cover.

Why is the weather for zone 7b in California so different from zone 7b in North Carolina?

The USDA zones are only about low temperatures. Other climate differences between California and North Carolina (such as humidity, rainfall during the summer, and highest temperatures) are not considered.

B

The zone map is incorrect for my area. I live in Bloomington,CA and it has me as zone 8b…..our temps are never ever down to 15 degreees. We are more like what is zone 10a where Victorville is. But that is incorrect for them also as they are high desert and get snow whereas we don’t. They are probably more like a 9a or 8b. I suppose it varies area by area depending on microclimates. Our zone is classified with the coastal area which is much cooler than we are here. A few miles can make a difference down here with hills to account for. I work in Riverside and watch my temp gauge on my way to work…not long ago there was a 16 degree difference due to Santa Ana condition and the hills that blocked it.

Posted by Betty Yuill on Nov. 02, 2011 at 6:55:14 AM

Betty, You are so right on the microclimate issue! You said, “I suppose it varies area by area depending on microclimates. Our zone is classified with the coastal area which is much cooler than we are here. A few miles can make a difference down here with hills to account for” and the coast and the hills lead to lots of variations.

Keeping our own garden temperature records helps a great deal, and local Master Gardener groups often have the low temps mapped by topography if your area is not consistent and easy for the USDA to describe with its map.

Posted by GrowOrganic.com on Nov. 02, 2011 at 10:39:46 AM

zip code is 60613

Posted by Marija Petrauskas on Jan. 30, 2012 at 4:44:26 PM

Marija, The USDA map says you are Zone 5B.

Posted by GrowOrganic.com on Sep. 09, 2012 at 7:45:49 PM

N

zip code is 95616

Posted by Nancy on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:32:26 AM

Nancy, The USDA map says you are Zone 9B.

Posted by GrowOrganic.com on Sep. 23, 2012 at 2:42:57 PM

F

I was blocked from entering my zip code on this map. But anyway, there are so many microclimates in foothill areas that these generalized maps are not worth much. I live down in the bottom of a frost pocket. 1/4 mile away on the hillside, my neighbor can plant way before I can, and grow stuff that would freeze to mush at my place.

Posted by Fran Ransley on Oct. 07, 2012 at 3:24:25 PM

Fran, Sorry you are blocked by the map! It is working fine from my computer. As you say, though, the foothills microclimates are so varied. In Nevada County our Master Gardeners have a detailed map in the Western Nevada County Gardening Guide—but a few years of experience on a piece of land is the best info of all.

Posted by GrowOrganic.com on Oct. 08, 2012 at 10:53:34 AM

P

My zip code is 97701.  I wanted to know if I could grow asparagus here in this zone.

Posted by Page Gorham on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:52:12 AM

Page, Looks like you are just east of the Cascade Range, so you should have no problem growing asparagus.  Two items that can be a problem there are soil saturation (be sure soil is loose and light) and gophers.

Posted by GrowOrganic.com on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:41:04 AM

P

My zip code is 93544 I am a beginner please help zone then chill factor Thank You

Posted by Pam on Apr. 02, 2013 at 7:02:29 AM

Pam, Welcome to the gardening world! You are in USDA Zone 9a. Chill hours are something you should ask your local Master Gardeners. I do not know your county so cannot research that for you. Here is an article with links to help you search for your chill hours http://groworganic.com/organic-gardening/articles/chill-hours-what-are-they-how-do-i-count-them-and-why-do-my-fruit-trees-car

Posted by GrowOrganic.com on Apr. 04, 2013 at 10:43:11 AM

D

inquiring about yams ,how do I get starters & when to plant in area 9

Posted by Dave Reed on Aug. 28, 2014 at 1:57:01 PM

Not sure where to buy them, but you can make your own ‘slips’. Here is the link to show you how, http://www.peakprosperity.com/wsidblog/81366/how-start-sweet-potato-slips. Hope this gets you started.

Posted by Suzanne at Peaceful Valley on Sep. 04, 2014 at 5:07:05 PM

T

My zip code is 07666, what is my zone? Thank you.

Posted by Trinh Tran on Jan. 24, 2015 at 9:36:31 AM

If you follow this link you can find out, http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/.
You are in zone 7a.

Posted by Suzanne at Peaceful Valley on Jan. 30, 2015 at 4:46:50 PM

K

My son has a place in Yermo, CA..about 12 miles east of Barstow.  Sunset says it’s zone 11 and USDA states 9a.  It rarely gets below 32 degrees, but is windly.  May have wind chill factor.  Trying to decide if jujube, kumquats, satsuma mandarins, persimmons, blueberries would survive?  Any suggestions? Does anyone know the zone?

Posted by Katherine on Mar. 18, 2015 at 9:23:40 PM

The USDA zone is 9a like you stated. All of the plants you listed should grow in that zone. But I would plant them in an area that is more protected from the wind.

Posted by Suzanne at Peaceful Valley on Mar. 25, 2015 at 11:21:23 AM

D

My question is not related. But does anyone know about growing pomegranates in an atrium climate controlled? Live in Silverthorne Colorado and growing tropical fruit (cuties) in there!
It is active and passive solar with south facing giant Windows and a heat collecting rock wall.
We are buying this house and I want to grow pomegranates and other food.

Posted by Donna Winslow-Arnove on Apr. 19, 2015 at 10:55:03 AM

Donna, as long as you can keep them warm enough in the winter, I don’t see why you couldn’t grow pomegranate.

Posted by Suzanne at Peaceful Valley on Apr. 23, 2015 at 2:15:03 PM

E

I’m wondering if the stated zones (e.g. McIntosh apple, 4-7) represent both minimum AND maximum limits?  Would I be asking for trouble to plant something so cold-adapted in near-coastal California? (Zone 9B, 900-1000 chill hours.)  We’re a long way from New England…

Posted by Eddy Kilowatt on Dec. 23, 2015 at 3:02:49 PM

Eddy, what I am reading from your message is that you get in zone 9b, between 900-1000 chill hours. This seems rather high for zone 9b. The usda zones are are range that the McIntosh will thrive, and they will need a minimum of 900 chill hours to successfully flower properly in the spring. I am attaching a link from a great website that talks about growing apples. http://www.orangepippintrees.com/articles/fruit-tree-advice/growing-apple-trees-in-the-north-american-climate.
In my opinion, you should select a low chill apple for growing in zone 9b. If you look on our website you can select trees based on usda zone, there are quite a few that will grow in zone 9.

Posted by Suzanne at Peaceful Valley on Dec. 28, 2015 at 9:35:35 AM

W

I live in the Los Angeles area and in temp zone 10B. I am looking forward to purchasing an olive tree that will bear fruit.

Any suggestions on the type of Olive tree that would grow best here?

Posted by Walt Walston on Jan. 02, 2016 at 8:17:27 AM

Walt, many olives will grow in your zone. You will need to decide if you want to grow them for eating or making oil. That will narrow the list of trees down a bit. You can filter the list of olive trees on our site by either oil or table olive. We list which zones each tree will grow in and which pollinators are needed.

Posted by Suzanne at Peaceful Valley on Jan. 05, 2016 at 12:16:53 PM